About the Co-op
The Glen Valley Organic Farm Co-operative owns the stunning 50-acre Glen Valley Organic Farm, located in Abbotsford BC. In existance since 1998, the farm is a successful model of co-operative, organic agriculture. The farm has over 50 shareholders of varying backgrounds, but who all have strong interests in sustainable agriculture and preserving farmland for local food production. The Co-op is incorporated as a co-operative in British Columbia.
Co-operatively preserving and stewarding organic farmland to support farmers in growing quality food for local communities.
The original goals of the co-op when established in 1998 remain priorities today and figure into our decision-making processes. These goals are to:
- provide access to certified organic food for shareholders and the local community;
- own and operate the farm co-operatively;
- steward the entire farm for the mutual benefit of the land, wildlife and people;
- be a model of sustainable living; and
- create opportunities to learn about sustainability.
Shareholders and friends of the farm meet regularly for a shared meal and meeting. All major decisions for the co-op are achieved through concensus. We believe this process helps to ensure that issues are carefully thought through before action is taken, that it gives everyone a voice in the process, which results in much greater buy-in by all participants.